NAC Supplement Benefits
In addition to its free radical annihilation, NAC has a long and varied list of benefits and uses, according to WebMD. It has been helpful for treating a number of specific ailments as well as contributing to overall health and wellness.
NAC has a hearty reputation for easing symptoms of an array of respiratory issues. These include chest pain, hay fever, chronic bronchitis, the lung condition fibrosing alveolitis and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, aka COPD.
Other Health Issues
The benefits of NAC capsules travel far beyond the respiratory system, with its use extending to treatment of:
- Lou Gehrig’s disease, officially known as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or ALS
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Some forms of epilepsy
- Kidney dialysis complications
- The autoimmune disorder Sjogren’s syndrome
- Allergic reactions to the seizure-preventing medication phenytoin
- Ear infections
- Chronic fatigue syndrome, or CFS
- Side effects of radiation treatment
- Human immunodeficiency virus, or HIV
Treatment after the fact isn’t the only role the vegetarian NAC supplement can play. It has also been used for:
- Sports injury complication prevention
- Increasing immunity to various strains of flu
- Prevention of liver damage caused by alcohol
- Prevention of kidney damage due to certain dyes used in X-rays
- Reducing lipoprotein cholesterol levels
- Reducing homocysteine levels, a factor that may be linked to heart disease
- Reducing the risk of stroke and heart attack in people suffering from severe kidney disease
NAC is frequently used by health care professionals to counteract poisoning by carbon monoxide, acrylonitrile and acetaminophen, WebMD reports. It halts the acetaminophen by binding the poisonous forms of the substance that begin forming in the liver, thereby stopping them from contaminating the rest of the body.
Body Detox and Poison Prevention
When it comes to detox products, NAC is one of the more potent detox supplements on
It can also reduce the toxicity levels of the cancer-treatment drugs doxorubicin and ifosfamide as well as protect the body from an array of environment hazards. These include carbon monoxide as well as urethanes, chloroform and certain herbicides.
NAC antioxidant thus additionally functions as a detoxifyer, preventative measure, treatment method and an overall powerful nutritional supplement and, in some cases, a full-fledged life saver.
Please note: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. None of our products is intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Information and statements made are for education purposes and are not intended to replace the advice of your treating doctor. The OM Shoppe does not dispense medical advice, prescribe, or diagnose illness. The views and nutritional information expressed by The OM Shoppe are not intended to be a substitute for conventional medical service. If you have a severe medical condition, see your physician of choice.